Class lasts 2 weeks (or 6 days), Wednesday through Friday, for 45 minutes each day. The maximum
number of participants per class is 8. Cost is $55 per person. You
may register online or by calling 972-412-6170.
starting April 1!
Fundamental Aquatic Skills
Enter water by stepping or jumping from the side
Exit water safely using ladder or side
- Submerge entire head, 5 seconds
- Bob, 5 times open eyes underwater
- Pick up a submerged object, 3 times in shallow water
- Recover from a front float to a standing position
- Front glide, 2 body lengths
- Jellyfish float, 5 seconds
- Recover from a back float to a standing position
- Back glide, 2 body lengths
- Change direction of travel paddling on front or back
- Roll over from front to back
- Roll over from back to front
- Tread water, using arm and leg motions
- Combined arm and leg actions on back, 15 feet
- Swim on side, alternating leg action, 5 feet (with support)
- Water safety rules
- How to use a life jacket
- Move in the water while wearing a life jacket
- How to get help
- Combined arm and leg actions on front, 15 feet
- Finning arm action on back, 10 feet
- Sculling arm action on back, 10 feet
Exit Skills Assessment
1. Step from side into chest-deep water, move into a front float for 5 seconds, roll over to a back float, return to standing position, then move back to a back float for 5 seconds and return to a standing position.
2. Push off and swim using a combination of arm and leg actions for 15 feet on the front; push off and swim using a combination of arm and leg actions for 15 feet on the back.