Humane Live Traps
If you are a business owner or a resident of the City of Rowlett and have a problem with stray cats or wildlife, Animal Services has humane traps available for your use. A trap rental agreement will need to be completed and a deposit of $25.00 for a small trap or $75.00 for a wildlife trap is required. Deposit will be returned when humane trap is returned in good working order. The staff will be happy to show you how to set the trap.
Animal Services has a very limited number of traps available for residents use, which are available on a first come first served basis. Animal Services may need to place you on a waiting list for the next available trap.
How does a humane trap work?
A humane trap is a cage with a door on one end, which can be lifted up and set in place with a small hook. The door is connected to a flat metal trip plate on the bottom of the trap. The trap is baited by placing food at the back of the trap, past the trip plate. When an animal enters the trap, the weight of its paw on the trip plate triggers the door to shut behind it. The trip plate is far enough away from the door so that the animal is not harmed.
Reserve a trap
If you live in the City of Rowlett, please call us at (972) 412-6219
- If we have a trap available at the time you call, we will reserve the trap for you. Reserved traps not picked up the same day will go back to being available.
- If you would prefer to buy a humane trap of your own, contact us for additional information.
- Check the trap on a daily basis. Leaving an animal in a trap for an extended period without notifying Animal Control constitutes Animal Cruelty under the laws of the State of Texas, and is punishable by fines and/or imprisonment
- *IMPORTANT* Please don’t set traps after 3:00 pm on Saturdays because Animal Control Officers are not available on Sundays for picking up animals in traps. Traps may be set or reset on Sundays after 7:00 pm provided Monday is not a Holiday.
- Do not set the trap on the day before or the day of a holiday, and do not lend the trap to any other person or remove it from your property. Responsibility for the trap is solely yours during this agreement, and you will be held responsible for any expenses incurred by Rowlett Animal Services to repair or replace the trap if it is damaged, lost, or stolen.
- Do not set traps when inclement weather (ex: temperature 32 degrees, rainy etc.)
- Do not set traps when heat temperatures are extreme. (ex: 100 degrees plus.)
- Call us at (972) 412-6219 as soon as possible. Leave a voicemail or tell the dispatcher your name, address, phone number and what is caught in the trap.
- Animal Control will not remove animals from humane traps after regular business hours (Monday-Saturday 8-5:00 pm).
For additional information please contact Victoria Miles at 972-412-6219 or by Email.