Permits and Licenses

Food Service Inspections and Permits

Persons owning, maintaining, conducting, operating or engaging in a food service business in the City of Rowlett must obtain an annual Food Service Permit (PDF).   A Certified Food Protection Manager is required as well. Certified Food Protection Managers are required to be on site at all times of operation. For additional information please contact the Neighborhood Services Division at 972-412-6283.

Fees are based upon the type of service establishment:

  • Permanent food establishments with dine-in (tables for patrons) = $250
  • Permanent food establishments (schools, daycares and take out) = $200
  • Grocery/Department stores (Wal Mart, Target, Tom Thumb) = $400
  • Mobile food vendors = $200

Applications may be printed from the above Food Service Permit link above or picked up at the Community Development Department located at 5702 Rowlett Road.  Please ensure that permits are filled out completely and that the associated fee accompanies the application.  A credit card authorization form can be found here and may be faxed to 972-412-6297.

Temporary Food Permits

Persons selling or publicly distributing food products for fundraisers, weekend events or evening events up to a maximum of three consecutive days must obtain a temporary food permit. The cost of the permit is $50. Qualifying non-profit groups may be fee exempt, please contact us for more details.

Temporary Food Permit applications (PDF) may be printed from the link provided or picked up at Environmental Health Services at 5702 Rowlett Road. Please ensure to submit the associated fee with the application.

The City of Rowlett temporary food brochure (PDF) will give you specifics that must be followed at each temporary food event. Lastly, sanitation instructions (PDF) are included for your health and the health of our citizens.

For additional information please contact the Neighborhood Services Division at 972-412-6283.

Public and Semi-Public Pools

The goal of the City of Rowlett public swimming pool inspection program is to ensure that all public and semi-public swimming pools maintain sanitary chemical balance and adhere to the Texas Pool Rules to minimize the likelihood of waterborne disease outbreaks and submersion injuries.

Each public and semi-public swimming pool and spa must obtain a valid permit to operate in the City of Rowlett. The permit fee for each swimming pool or spa is $250. Each pool much have a completed Pool Permit Application and associated fee submitted. Click the following link: Pool Application Packet (PDF)

If the swimming pool or spa is operated by a governmental agency, independent school district, non-profit agency, or church, the permit fee is waived.

A certified pool operator certification is required for operation of all commercial public and semi-public pools. Please submit proof of certification along with the application packet and payment.

No swimming pool or spa can open until a complete inspection has been conducted, the pool or spa is 100% in compliance, and the Pool Permit has been issued by Health Services.

To contact the Health Services concerning your swimming pool, please contact the Neighborhood Services Division at 972-412-6123.

Massage Establishments

Each massage establishment must obtain a valid permit to operate in the City of Rowlett.  The permit fee for each establishment is $50/year.  Each massage establishment must have a completed Massage Establishment Permit Application and associated fee submitted.


Texas Department of State Health Services - Standards for Public Pools and Spas and Rules for Public Interactive Water Features and Fountains

Virginia Graeme Baker Pool and Spa Safety Act